Mother's Day brunch doesn't have to be tricky. You can honour the Mum in your life with a luxurious feast without having to spend hours in the kitchen, allowing more time together to bond over G&Ts.
Classic hollandaise sauce is prepared with butter, egg yolks and lemon juice. Here, we add Batts Hill Surrey Dry Gin to the rich sauce, which is delicious with perfectly poached eggs & a toasted bagel (or English muffin).
40ml of Batts Hill Surrey Dry Gin
2 large egg yolks
1 tsp dijon mustard
20ml lemon juice
120g of butter
Fresh ground salt and black pepper
A pinch of cayenne pepper
2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Whisk together the gin, egg yolks, lemon juice and cayenne pepper into a mixing bowl.
- Bring the butter to a gentle simmer on the hob, then carefully with a steady stream pour the hot butter into the mixing bowl with the ingredients and whisk until the sauce thickens.
- Cover the sauce with a piece of cling film to keep it warm and prevent skin forming.
- Now bring a large, deep skillet of water to a simmer.
- Crack 2-4 eggs into the skillet and simmer over moderately low heat until the whites are set and the yolks are runny, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the poached eggs to a plate; blot dry with paper towels.
- Arrange 2 bagels or English muffin halves per person on a plate. Place the eggs on the muffins and season lightly with salt and pepper. Top with the poached eggs.
- Spoon the Batts Hill gin hollandaise on top and serve right away.