If you have been looking for a romantic Valentine's Day lunch or dinner recipe then we have something really special for you to try at home this year. Food and gin are the fastest ways to our heart and so we have created a gin-infused lamb shank casserole guaranteed to tantalise the taste buds and have you both quickly asking for seconds!
Cooking & prep time: 3.5 hours
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks
- 75ml Batts Hill Gin
- Seasoned plain flour
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs/sticks finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of lemon thyme
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1½ cups red wine
- 2 cups lamb/beef stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/320ºF.
- In a mixing bowl- add the lamb shanks and pour over the gin, cover with cling film, make sure it is sealed- you have to toss it together- for the gin must coat all parts of the shank.
- Leave to stand while you prep you vegetables
- Remove the shanks with a slotted spoon reserving the gin infused juices.
- Toss shanks in seasoned flour and brown in a large, deep oven-proof pot/pan until well-browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Fry the onion, carrot, celery and garlic until soft and fragrant. Add the herbs and tomato paste and cook for 30 seconds before adding the red wine, stock and reserved Batts Hill Gin juices. Allow to come to a simmer then add the lamb shanks back into the sauce.
- Cover with a lid and place in the oven. Allow to braise slowly for 2-3 hours until the lamb is soft and succulent
- Remove from the oven and serve on a bed of creamy mash potatoes.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below and let us know what you thought.